Monday, February 8, 2016

The week that I fell in a pit.

Hello!  So this week was fun.  We actually had a pretty good week lesson-wise, we're finding lots of people to teach who seem really receptive to the gospel, and our investigators are doing well, more or less.  We walked a ton this week, like always.  I wish we had bikes!  But eh, its fine.  I like walking!

And then... Thursday.  I'm not quite sure why, but Thursday I was a disaster.  I woke up on Thursday feeling really sick.  We did our studies, but it was really hard to focus, because I felt terrible.  When we were about to go our Elder Silvestre said I shouldn't be on the street while I felt that way, but I wanted to work, so I called my district leader to get permision to leave, haha...  So we went to our appointment with J, who had some doubts about the LDS temples.  He was angry that only baptised members of our church could enter temples, and said that the temple should be a place for everyone.  We explained temples to him, and I think we addressed his concern, he seemed satisfied at the end.  But I just kept feeling worse and worse.  Eventually I gave in and said that we should probably go back to the appartment to rest for a bit until I felt better.  It stunk.  Eventually I felt well enough to go out again.  By this time it was dark outside, and we had an appointment in the outskirts of Miahuatlan.  We were walking on a path to our appointment, and suddenly there wasn't ground beneath me.  There was a pit in the middle of the path, that certainly wasn't there the last time we were there.  It wasn't terribly deep (probably about 4 feet deep) but I fell on my foot wrong, and hurt my toe.  I hobbled to the rest of our appointments, and yeah, that pretty much sums up that day.  The day after I couldn't walk normally, I was limping really badly, and we had appointments all over the city.  So that was a struggle!

But in the end, everything turned out ok.  By friday I was feeling better from my sickness, and now my foot feels fine too.  Looking back, I'm glad I had these experiences.  It reminded me of a scripture that I really like, in D&C 122

 7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into  the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if   the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather  blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge  up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell   shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know   thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee  experience, and shall be for thy good.

Well, this week I was literally "cast into the pit."  And from this experience I learned a lot about trials.  Sure, they hurt in the moment, but we have the promise that they will always be for our good.  I am thankful for God's help in that somewhat difficult day.  He gave me the strength and optimism that I needed to endure to the end.  

Another cool experience this week was when I started my monthly fast.  But first, a bit of background info.  Miahuatlan has a lot of ugly, inappropiate images on the streets and in the shops here,  There are innappropriately dressed maniquins in stores, bad magazines, and all sorts of nasty stuff.  Many times I feel gross and uncomfortable with all the evil that surrounds me, and it makes it hard to keep my mind pure all the time.  As a missionary, I recognize how important it is to be clean and pure at all times.  So this month for my fast I asked for help and support in keeping my mind pure dispite all of the temptations.  Right when I finished my prayer to start the fast, I felt a peace and love of the savior.  I knew then that I could resist these temptations, and keep myself unspotted from the world, even when there was evil all around.  As I studied these things over the next couple days, I found many tools and resources to help me "let virtue garnish my thoughts unceasingly."  I read an article in the church magazine that talked about a similar subject, and cited this scripture.

26 And they said unto me: What meaneth the river of water which our father saw?
 27 And I said unto them that the water which my  father saw was filthiness; and so much was his   mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water.

When our minds are filled with good things, we, like lehi, will not behold the filthiness of the world.  I am so grateful for the fast, I know that through the fast we can recieve strength and guidence in our lives.  I am also thankful for personal revelation.  I know that it is real.

Well, I'm out of time.  I love you all!  Until next week!



Elder Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment